Over the last quarter century, Dan has acquired significant experience in general personal injury, aviation law, product liability, medical malpractice, sex abuse, employment discrimination, insurance company misconduct, and estate disputes. For well over a decade, Dan represented manufacturers, insurers and governments in high-stakes injury litigation for serious bodily injury and death arising from industrial injuries, motor vehicle crashes, small airplane and helicopter crashes, mass air disasters, and toxic torts. In 2006, he started devoting his practice to representing seriously injured persons, those wrongfully denied insurance benefits, and employees who have suffered illegal discrimination on the basis of their sex, disability, or race.
For example, Dan obtained a settlement for a child, whose eye was seriously damaged at a government daycare facility, equal to the highest reported settlement at the time for an injury of similar type in the state. Dan recovered a significant settlement for a man permanently debilitated by a surgical mistake. Dan also was able to force an insurance company to restore critical long-term disability income benefits to a cancer victim after the insurance company cut off her payments in spite of the ravages of her chemotherapy. The court even forced her insurer to pay all of her reasonable attorney’s fees and costs.
Some of Dan’s other important victories for plaintiffs include recoveries on behalf of a man who contracted a spinal infection from a physician’s injections; a man nearly killed by a falling tree; a woman who was sexually harassed by her employer; and a woman who suffered a lifetime of sexual abuse by her father. Dan has also represented numerous victims of motor vehicle collisions.
Dan has tried or co-tried 17 cases and has arbitrated or settled many more. He is also regularly appointed by the Superior Courts of King and Snohomish counties as arbitrator in mandatory arbitration cases.
- University of Michigan, J.D., 1989
- University of Chicago, B.A., American History, 1984
Awards & Achievements:
- Rated “AV” by Martindale Hubbell
- Law Clerk, Hon. John Feikens, United States District Court (E.D. Mich.) 1989-90
- Articles Editor, Michigan Journal of International Law, Volume 10
- Book Award, Writing & Advocacy, University of Michigan Law School
- National Merit Scholar, University of Chicago
- Chapter Author: Washington Civil Procedure Deskbook, Washington State Bar Association, upcoming 2014 edition, 2001 edition & 1996 update
- Frequent presenter at legal education seminars
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington State Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice
- King County Bar Association
(Past Chair, Aviation and Professionalism Committees)
- Snohomish County Bar Association
- Cascade Bicycle Club
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- All Washington State Superior Courts
- Washington State Bar
Outside the Office
Dan is married to Anna Marie Jackson Laurence. They have two children and a Labrador retriever. Dan is an avid bicyclist and outdoorsman, who enjoys backpacking, skiing, fishing and pheasant hunting. He prefers to read nonfiction about adventure, history, sociology and science. Dan also has had a lifelong relationship with piano, guitar and vocal music, and briefly performed with the Seattle Gilbert & Sullivan Society, both locally and in England.